March 10, 2014 - Submission of paper & workshop proposals
May 2, 2014 - Paper acceptance notification
May 28, 2014 - Final paper submission
May 28, 2014 - Deadline for early registration rates
We are glad to invite you to the 5th edition of the IEEE/RAS-EMBS International Conference on Biomedical Robotics and Biomechatronics (BioRob 2014), the biannual conference on theoretical and experimental issues in the fields of robotics and mechatronics applied to medicine and biology. This year the conference will be held in São Paulo on August 12-15, 2014.
The conference theme of this edition is "Biomedical Robotics and Biomechatronics Technology for a World without Borders".
The BioRob2014 will share keynote speakers with the XXV Annual Meeting of the Brazilian Society of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. Moreover, the State of Sao Paulo will run concurrently and in the same convention center two more events:
- “Reabilitação” a tradeshow of equipment and technology for rehabilitation and orthopedics, and
- The VI Meeting of Rehabilitation and Disability Stakeholders involving government representatives, patients, and caregivers.
The confluence of all stakeholders engineers, physicians, industry, government, patients, and caregivers will be unique but in line with United Nations 2012 unanimous decision to make healthcare and rehabilitation a human right.
BioRob covers both theoretical and experimental challenges posed by the application of robotics and mechatronics in medicine and biology. The primary focus of Biorobotics is to analyze biological systems from a "biomechatronic" point of view, trying to understand the scientific and engineering principles underlying their extraordinary performance. This profound understanding of how biological systems work, behave and interact can be used for two main objectives: to guide the design and fabrication of novel, high performance bio-inspired machines and systems for many different applications; and to develop novel nano, micro-, macro- devices that can act upon, substitute parts of, and assist human beings in prevention, diagnosis, surgery, prosthetics, rehabilitation and personal assistance.
The technical program of IEEE BioRob2014 will consist of invited talks, special sessions, posters, and paper presentations. Papers can cover areas of Biorobotics and Biomechatronics including:
- Technology for assisted surgery and diagnosis
- Biomechatronic and human-centered design
- Micro/nano technologies in medicine and biology
- Wearable assistive and augmenting devices
- Biological systems modeling
- Biologically-inspired systems
- Rehabilitation and assistive robotics
- Human-machine interaction
- Prosthetic devices
- Locomotion and manipulation in robots and biological systems
- Technology Assessment, Ethical and Social Implications of Biorobotics and Biomechatronics
The venue for the conference is the Anhembi Convention Center in São Paulo, one of the most vibrant and dynamic cities in the world driving a “brave new emerging world” – Brazil and Latin America. São Paulo, the largest metropolis of South America, is easily accessible from all over the world.